Database EngineerLiberty Lake, WA Last Updated: March 16th, 2023
Mid-Level Database Engineer
Are you ready to make the world a safer place? Do you thrive in building software applications that you can show off? Do you want to work in a collaborative, fun, and creative culture, where ideas are explored, and jeans are encouraged?
If so, then come join us at OpenEye, headquartered in beautiful Liberty Lake, Washington.
OpenEye, the cloud video platform company, is seeking a Mid-Level Database Engineer to join our growing OpenEye Web Services (OWS) team. If you thrive in an innovative, collaborative, and casual atmosphere, apply today!
As a Mid-Level Database Engineer, you will be responsible for the development and management of the data backend infrastructure for OWS using a combination of technical proficiencies, organizational aptitude and interpersonal skills, as well as learning and progressing with the evolving technology. You will play a key role in ensuring the reliability, performance, and security of our data.
In this role, you will also use your critical thinking and problem-solving skills to turn complex data into actionable information that will help OpenEye to make data-driven decisions.
Role and Responsibilities
- Design and implement massively scalable database solutions that meet business requirements
- Maintain and optimize database performance, security, storage, and access using industry best practices
- Develop backend and data-centric software including feature additions, modifications, bug fixes and unit tests. Works with Team Leader or Product Owner as issues arise.
- Reviews development requests and makes educated decisions about the most efficient way to proceed.
- Interfaces with various departments to acquire information needed to successfully deliver solutions that meets customer needs.
- Interfaces with various departments and customers to help solve support issues they are facing using the software.
- Effectively communicates tasks and ideas to fellow developers, management, various departments, and customers.
- Analyzes input requirements from various sources and determine the best way to meet each requirement.
- Reviews software code written by others to determine if the code meets company, departmental and team standards.
- Assists other database engineers or software engineers as needed when they have questions about data, databases, queries, or other data-access patterns.
- AWS RDS, MySql, CrateDB, PostgreSQL, AWS Kinesis Data Streams, Microsoft SQL, Power BI, Java, Spring, Git, IntelliJ
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 2-5 years professional experience
- Experience in MySql or similar relational database in a production environment
- Experience in PowerBI, Tableau, or similar reporting technology
- Excellent understanding of query execution plans, advanced query formation, and index and performance tuning
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and development practices
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong quality ethic and test-first attitude
- Some experience with programming languages such as Java
- Great communication and teamwork skills
- The pay range for this opportunity is $90,000 - $130,000 annually. In addition, this position is eligible for an annual discretionary bonus.
- Employees are eligible to purchase company stock at a discounted rate
- Collaborative, fun, creative culture where idea sharing is encouraged
- Casual dress (Jeans are welcome!)
- Medical, dental, vision & prescription benefits starting day 1! Generous medical plan subsidy and health savings account option with company contribution helps keep your costs low.
- Up to $5,000 annual company match for 401k
- Company paid short-term/long-term disability, AD&D and life insurance
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 15 Days of Paid Vacation accrued per year (increases after year 3)
- 7 Paid Sick/Wellness days per year
- 9 Paid Holidays per year
- This position is eligible for a flexible hybrid work schedule
- Educational Assistance Program covering non-degree support, undergraduate and graduate degrees
- Employee Equipment Program – Free Alarm.com system for your home!
OpenEye is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In connection with your application, we collect information that identifies, reasonably relates to or describes you (“Personal Information”). The categories of Personal Information that we may collect include your name, government-issued identification number(s), email address, mailing address, other contact information, emergency contact information, employment history, educational history, criminal record, and demographic information. We collect and use those categories of Personal Information about you for human resources and other business management purposes, including identifying and evaluating you as a candidate for potential or future employment or future positions, recordkeeping in relation to recruiting and hiring, conducting criminal background checks as permitted by law, conducting analytics, and ensuring compliance with applicable legal requirements and Company policies.